#FierceFemaleFriday – Torri L. Hayslett


Torri is a College & Career Manager for McKinley Technology High School, a District of Columbia Public school. This past week I had the opportunity to travel with her as she dropped off one of her students at Morgan State University.  This young man, who was currently homeless, showed up for the trip with only a backpack.   Torri created an Amazon wish list so that her friends, former co-workers and family could purchase items to assist him with a seamless transition into college life. 

As we helped him set up his dorm room, I had to fight back tears. I couldn’t imagine not having my parents or any family to be there with me at such a crucial moment in my life.  It is already tough to be young, black, and male, but to be without a support system is extremely difficult.  I was immediately relieved when I looked over at Torri.  She has changed this young man’s life as well as the lives of so many of her students. Because of her, he has a support system and finally a place to call home for the next four years.

After saying our good-byes, Torri and I watched him walked towards his future. It no longer mattered where he had been or who hadn’t been there with him along his journey. The only thing that mattered was the road in front of him. “He’ll find his way.”  A wise man told me. Yep, he’s gonna be great!




I appreciate you Torri for not only what you have done for this young man but how you give of yourself (sometimes too much) to ensure that your students are well equipped for any challenge that may come their way.
******************************************************************************* 
To the English teacher who introduced me to Edgar Allen Poe and who made me fall in love with Shakespeare. To the band director who taught me how to read and write music and to play several instruments, but who also forced me to understand the message behind the music.
To the teachers, instructors, counselors, principals, administrators in every level of education, you are the real MVPS and I salute you.  I feel a lot better about our future as a country knowing that you’re out there shaping and molding the world's next leaders.
 Let’s keep this young man and all students returning to school in our thoughts and prayers. If you would like to learn more about how you can support this young man as he begins his college career, DM @torrilynn1 or send an email to torri_lynn1@yahoo.com

#FierceFemales
#MagnificentMen
#BacktoSchool

Comments

Popular Posts