Author - Diseree M. Smith



Diseree M. Smith is a brilliant and skilled writer.  She is currently working on several writing projects for various aged readers that provoke acceptance, love and build self –esteem through self-awareness.  Diseree’s passion is to inspire and encourage girls to become virtuous women and to challenge them to become who God has destined them to be, not what the world pressures them to become. She also continues to help other women unwrap their gifts and achieve their own personal goals in life. As such, in 2013 she co-founded “More Than A Pretty Package” (MTAPP).   MTAPP is an organization that seeks to assist women in recognizing and implementing their God-given gifts and talents into their everyday life for the benefit of themselves and others.  MTAPP is here to EDUCATE, EMPOWER, and ENCOURAGE,  women to UNWRAP the best parts of themselves, their gifts and return them to the gift-giver, God.

She is a former educator who is from Chicago, IL and currently resides in Houston, TX with her husband, David Clay, Jr. and 12  year-old daughter, Carrington R. Clark. She holds a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Education from Grambling State University and a Master’s of Arts degree in Guidance and Counseling from Louisiana Tech University.



"Beautiful Like A Flower"  is Diseree's debut book. What began as a simple desire to inspire slowly blossomed into a book. Her untitled sophomore effort will be apart of her mission to boost the self-esteem and self-confidence of children. She currently serves as the Executive Vice President of MC Lyte's nonprofit organization, Hip Hop Sisters Foundation. 

What's it like to be a female boss?
In an industry that is male dominated, it’s humbling to know that I made the cut as a #GirlBoss.   However, I often forget that I am a boss because I am merely doing the work that I love each and every day.  Being a boss is more of a mentality backed by action than it is a title, so for me, I love it. It’s who I’ve always been.  The beauty of it all is that every day there’s a new challenge to face. There’s never a dull moment in the industry. You never know if the next decision you make will catapult your career or plummet it. 


Being a boss keeps me on my toes because I, too, have TWO AMAZING bosses, Lana “MC Lyte” Moorer and Dr. Lynn Richardson, who I don’t want to disappoint; they have set the bar pretty high.  They believed in me partly because I believe in the work we do daily to change the lives of those we serve. You have to know that I never planned to work in the entertainment industry in this capacity.  I was a teacher who had decided to take some time off when I received the “call of opportunity.”    I seized the moment and since being with Hip Hop Sisters Foundation/ Sunni Gyrl, Inc., I have been blessed to receive two substantial promotions within my first year. 
So what’s it like? It’s empowering. It’s refreshing. It’s challenging. It’s impactful and absolutely amazing. It’s a career like none other. It’s a blessing.


What advice would you give to you young women who are entering this industry?

There’s so much to tell them so I think it’s best that I list the advice...
  1. Remember your core values 
  2. Don't work so hard at changing who you are, instead work on improving yourself 
  3. You are necessary so don’t feel invaluable  
  4. Once you’re in, work as hard as you did when you were trying to get in, to stay in 
  5. Be efficient
  6. Be excellent in all that you do! Even if that’s making coffee.
  7. Earning the approval of your EXCELLENT superior is both worth it and satisfying.
  8. Respect yourself and set boundaries 
  9. Don’t expect praise for everything that you do- in time your consistent excellence will speak for itself. 
  10. Remember why you did it in the first place- attach your grind to your purpose

Comments

  1. All I can say is, YOU ROCK!
    You are special and blessed.
    You are the "CHOSEN ONE " to do what you are doing. Stay humble, AMEN.
    Darrick Wallace GSU C/O 02

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is, YOU ROCK!
    You are special and blessed.
    You are the "CHOSEN ONE " to do what you are doing. Stay humble, AMEN.
    Darrick Wallace GSU C/O 02

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts