The Longest Week - Part 1

You know I debated for a long time over today's post. How transparent do I want to be? Adventures should be exciting, happy, and should leave people feeling good. That's why I created this blog. Then I thought further. Every adventure doesn't necessarily have to be exciting. Along the way there are potholes, roadblocks, and detours but in the end when you look back over the journey every pit stop, distraction, or setback was absolutely worth it. God has a way of working things out. 

Imagine for a second that you're in a relationship. You and your guy or lady have been dating for nearly five years. The relationship is okay. You're comfortable with one another. You're content. It's easy, but at the same time you know that this isn't a long-term thing. Marriage just isn't in the books for the two of you. You haven't necessarily shared this information with your significant other. Instead you've been walking on eggshells for the past few months waiting for the perfect time to share the news. You definitely wait out the holidays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years.  You decide that you'll wait until after Valentine's Day and that'll be it. By then you will have a plan for how to walk away from the relationship and no one will be hurt. This is your plan. You're prepared for this. You even write down what you will say when the opportunity presents itself:

See it's burning me to hold onto this 
I know this is something I gotta do 
But that don't mean I want to 
What I'm trying to say is that I-love-you I just 
I feel like this is coming to an end 
And its better for me to let it go now than hold on and hurt you 
I gotta let it burn


You're coasting through the month of January. It's Friday night, January 13th.  You're getting fresh and clean for happy hour at Kona Grill when there's a knock on your door.  You're not expecting anyone. Who can this be?  It's your guy/girl. They don't smile or make small talk they simply say:

It's gonna burn for me to say this 
But it's coming from my heart
It's been a long time coming 
But we done been fell apart 
Really wanna work this out 
But I don't think you're gonna change 
I do but you don't 
Think it's best we go our separate ways
Tell me why I should stay in this relationship 
When I'm hurting baby, I ain't happy baby 
Plus there's so many other things I gotta deal with 
I think you should let it burn. 


What do you do? 

Well, the story above actually happened to me last week but it wasn't a romantic relationship and Usher was nowhere around. 

My company decided that our relationship was over. Several teammates and I were no longer required. It wasn't about my performance. It was apart of the restructuring of the organization.  You know... the normal excuse when something like this happens. There was so much that went wrong with the way this information was communicated to my team and I, but I won't go into details. Needless to say I was shocked. I was preparing to give notice in a few more months and they had beat me to the punch.  I thought about it long and hard and realized, this may not have been "my plan" but it was God's plan. God's plan is always better. I thought of what my mentor and former boss would say, "pick your battles Christy." 

So what did I do next? 

I put on my pearls, a cute dress, and drove my pretty self to Sidebar Uptown|Dallas to kick off Founders' weekend with my sorors.  I had such a good time. I hadn't planned on getting out but I'm glad that I did. 






Soror Marcie pictured with me above convinced me to "keep the party going" over at Victory Tavern. I'm glad that I listened to her. It was fun. I saw folks that I went to school with at Grambling State University (Where Everybody is Somebody). I ran into one of my favorite Deltas and Libra friends LeKeshia (pictured below). 



Freeze, IE, and Steve Nice were the featured DJs. I can't remember the last time that I did more than Happy Hour on a Friday night but these events and these ladies were just what the doctor ordered. 





I woke up early on Saturday and started making a list of contacts and companies you know my network of people. I spent a little time talking to God...writing to God...listening for God's voice and then I went to the office and packed up my personal things. I had learned a few companies ago to only bring what you need to work. I had a few notebooks, pens, my PMP certificate (a small reminder to myself and others that I am freakin AWESOME), some snacks and that's about it. All my things fit in two small reusable grocery bags. 

By the time that I got back home I was in my feelings again. I couldn't believe this was happening to me. I shook that feeling off, got dressed and headed out for part 2 of the Founders Day weekend festivities. 

I spent the evening at Sunset Lounge with a table, bottle  service, and hookah. Again, it was a blast and the DJ was from Grambling (Gamma Gamma) so after shouting out Alpha Theta he played Bad and Boujee. It was a great night!   


(Pictured above: Soror ReJohnna and Soror Marcie at Sunset Lounge)



(My sorors and I toasting to 109 years of AKA at Sunset Lounge!!)



By Sunday morning I was reminded that I am no longer in my 20's. My body was like no, you will not force me to move outside of this house, you will only put on comfortable clothes and shoes. LOL!  I didn't leave the house, until I realized my refrigerator was bare and I hadn't eaten all day.  I put on some comfy clothes and made the short drive to Kenny's Burger Joint. Kenny's has all types of burgers, salads, and other normal bar food but I am addicted to the Turkey Burger and the Truffle fries. You should try it.  I promise you won't regret it! 




The weekend was over. I'd had fun, good food, and made new memories, but then... well.. Remember that relationship that I was telling you about earlier? What if your guy/girl didn't show up at your door to give you the news? What if...the unthinkable, the unimaginable, the unfathomable happened? 

To be continued...

Comments

  1. Awe! I am humbled you mentioned me! You are a survivor and your resilience is amazing!❤

    Your Favorite Delta,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy, looks like you had a fun weekend. Lots of "breaking up" happening up here too. We know where our strength comes from. Keep on strong.

    Johnathan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Johnathan! Yes, I will remain strong. This is only temporary. Great hearing from you!

      Delete
  3. You're so right...God's plan is always better! I'm so excited to hear about what God has in store for you next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOOOOVE THIIIISSS!!!! I had a blast with you, but even a week later, I'm still recovering!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts