Dolce far niente



Do you remember the scene from Eat Pray Love when Elizabeth Gilbert (Julia Roberts) is sitting on the floor of her apartment eating a plate of Italian goodness? It looked like art with all of the colors and shapes of the food (see pic below).  Julia takes a bite of the asparagus and says, “dolce far niente” which in English means “the sweetness of doing nothing.”  



In another scene, Luca Spaghetti (Spaghetti…because his family invented it), says that Americans feel guilty for enjoying good food and entertainment. Luca argued that Americans have to be told to take a break. This is so true.  I find myself “relaxing” only to mentally go through my to-do list for the week. It’s sort of ridiculous really.  Last Saturday, I turned off my brain (as much as I could) and took a trip to Zoes Kitchen.  I pass this place like every single day but I never go inside. So Saturday, I stopped the car and pulled up to the door.  



The atmosphere was nice, clean, and welcoming.  The employees seemed cheerful and happy to be at work. I wonder if the corporate culture at Zoes has this same vibe. (Note to self: google Zoes Kitchen + corporate culture.) 


Anyways, I approached the counter, placed my order, and I was offered a free beverage while I waited. I declined the offer but thinking back I should have asked for a glass of that fresh squeezed limeade. There’s always next time. The dining area had really calming colors on the furniture and the walls, although the green reminds me of the war rooms at work (a regular conference room that we use when something is broken or there’s an issue). See, I told you that I tried to turn off my brain. Work is the LAST thing that I want to think about while enjoying my sweetness of doing nothing. 

There was a four peppercorn blend grinder, salt, and bottle of lemon vinaigrette dressing (made in house) on each of the tables.  Ten minutes later my name was called and the guy who delivered my food apologized for the wait, but he wanted to make some fresh pita bread. I didn’t even know I was getting pita bread with my hummus but apparently it came with the order!! Clearly I was excited. 

Back at home I grabbed one of my cute plates. I scooped a bit of the red pepper and classic hummus directly into the center of the plate and surrounded it with green, red, orange, and yellow peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, and lettuce.  




The classic hummus was drizzled with a little olive oil and a couple of olives were resting on top. The red pepper hummus was topped with red pepper romesco.  Both were delicious and filled with lots of flavor.  


There’s a saying “you eat with your eyes first.”   That is exactly what I did.  It was almost to pretty to eat... Almost... 

I grabbed my colorful plate, a glass of water, my favorite blanket and popped in my House Party DVD. I like to watch classic movies on the weekend (or anytime really and if you don't like House Party we can't be friends LOL!)   My day was great... and I did absolutely nothing. 

Dolce far niente... the sweetness of doing nothing... 


Tonight I tossed the leftover peppers in a skillet added some red and white onions, Portobello mushrooms, chicken breast, and lots of spices...  
It was great!  


There is art and beauty in everything. I found both while enjoying "the sweetness of doing nothing."  


Be Great!!
C.A.C.H. 2017



“Make every day an ADVENTURE!” – W.J.W.J. 


Comments

  1. Dear C.A.C.H.,
    I enjoy your daily topic about taking time out for yourself. America is a place where work is 1 and you treat as if you're not the priority. Glad to hear about leisure and how it is important for our overall health. I'm going to take time my me time more seriously or not...Lol!
    Thanks C.A.C.H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We tend to focus on our family, career, and others and never leave time for self-health. Take an hour this week for yourself. It will be worth it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts