I AM MORE - LaJena James


On the heels of her first debut album, "I AM MORE,"... LaJena James reflects on her earliest memory of singing at the age of 5, when she appeared on the Earnie Miles Show with the Concordia Mass Choir. A Louisiana native, being the youngest and smallest in stature with the largest presence there known for “never missing a note.” Because she grew up singing in her church choir, community choirs and alongside various artists, it’s no surprise that she led her first song at the age of 12 since she knew at a very tender age that she wanted to use her voice to glorify God and minister to others.

A graduate of Grambling State University, LaJena participated in the university choir and served as a member of The Anointed Voices Young Adult Choir of Zion Travelers Baptist Church in Ruston, LA. After obtaining her Bachelor’s Degree in 2003 she relocated to Houston, TX where she met her husband of 10 years. Brent and LaJena are the parents of three children Dalya, Laija, and Bryant (BJ). 

LaJena travels around the country on a regular basis using the gift of song to spread the gospel and bring people closer to Christ. Her passion in life is not just to sing, but to help other women unwrap their gifts and achieve their own personal goals in life. As such in 2013 she co-founded “More Than A Pretty Package.” “More Than A Pretty Package” (MTAPP) is an organization that seeks to assist women in recognizing and implementing their God-given gifts and talents into their everyday life for the benefit of themselves and others.  MTAPP is here to EDUCATE. EMPOWER. ENCOURAGE women to UNWRAP the best parts of themselves, their gifts and return them to the gift-giver, God. LaJena serves with her husband Brent, affectionately known as the “Dynamic Duo”. She ushers in the presence of God before he shares the gospel.

LaJena is currently touring to promote her album. 


What's it like to be female boss, wife, and mom in the entertainment industry?
I'm a wife and a mom first. Home is my first ministry and if I don't take care of home, I can't go out and effectively do what God has purposed for me. It can definitely be a challenge with everyone's schedule but I plan accordingly, so I can give my best in every performance. Most importantly, I get to include my family in all I do. 
Being an independent artist, I'm in full control. Which allows for me to balance between business and family. Not losing sight of what's important keeps me grounded as well. 

What advice would you give to young women who are entering this industry?
People will try to change you to be like others, but stay true to who you are. There is a no one else like you and you don't have to be like someone else to be successful. 
Be confident in what you have to offer others and know your market. Everyone won't like your gift and that's okay, you have to find those who do and cater to that group.
Always give your best in every setting, be it small, medium and large.  Stay humble
Lastly, never stop learning. You should continuously be growing in craft.

LaJena James
Singer. Speaker. Entreprenuer
"I AM MORE" Download my NEW album: 
lajenajames.com
Instagram- @lajenajames 

Comments

Popular Posts