An Amazing Weekend


I’m wearing heels, wedges to be exact. This is probably the worse decision I could have made given the amount of walking that is about to take place.  The most important thing is that I’m cute... and I’ve packed some comfy flats in my bag, so I keep moving.

I can see their faces; their pretty faces. 

I can see the salmon pink and apple green.

I can see the banners and I can hear their voices. 

I have arrived.  

I’ve been here before. 

Next week marks sixteen years.  Every year had its opportunities but every year was extraordinary.

I walked through the double doors, taking small steps. I am careful not to stumble in my cute shoes. Their laughter greets me.  

Their warm and cozy smiles and nods lead me deeper and deeper into the venue. I was looking for someone special.  It had been awhile since I’d seen her but I could feel her nearby. She was not only the reason why I was here at this place surrounded by all of these pretty faces, but she was the reason why I was here…here in this world living and breathing and existing and showing love.  

The crowd parted and there she was…my mama was smiling my way in all of her pretty pink and green. 

I had arrived.

___________________________________________________________________



This past weekend, I traveled to Shreveport, LA to participate in the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. 85th South Central Regional Conference.  From the time that my feet hit the pavement leading up to the steps of the Shreveport convention center I was greeted with a familiar warmth. I couldn’t help but to smile. 

In every direction, pretty ladies gathered in small groups chatting, snapping selfies, laughing, hugging, and just having a good time.  The convention center was draped from the rafters to the rugs in pink and green.  Pink and green apparel was all that could be seen for miles.  (I am sure this made the fellas happy.) 

Regional Conference is a time that I get to hang out with my mama. Although we often disagree on things, we can agree that being an AKA is special, it is fun, and it is a sisterhood that we get to share together. 


Each chapter dropped off school supplies and books as part of our international campaign. 

The Regional Conference has been held in Shreveport in prior years, but this year was bigger and better than ever. If you follow me on Instagram or Facebook, then you were there with me every step of the way.  

Here are a few of my highlights from this weekend!

On Thursday evening, the GSU World Famed Tiger Marching Band kicked things off with a medley of songs and fanfares. 


After their performance, the band members took a moment to pose with the South Central Regional Directory, Ms. Katina Semien, Esq. and our International President Mrs. Dorothy Buckhanan Wilson, 

TV One's Roland Martin made a special appearance. 


Miss Grambling State University and Miss Junior posed for pictures during the opening night event. Both young ladies are members of the Alpha Theta chapter at Grambling State. 



I jumped in a pic with my mom and her chapter members. We were all representing Grambling State University. 


At 6AM on Friday morning, my mother and I arrived at the convention center to kick-off the Legacy Breakfast. It doesn't look like it in the picture, but I was on about an hour and a half of sleep. 



Below a few members of my graduate chapter in Dallas pose with our International Treasurer, Mrs. Danette Anthony Reed.  


Mrs. Ruby Billups charter member of Alpha Theta (Grambling State University) and Epsilon Psi Omega (Grambling, LA) pose for pictures at the conclusion of the Legacy breakfast.  This was a special moment.

 On Friday evening (after a little rest) I made my way back to the convention center just in time to pose for a quick picture with my linesister. 

Let me just say this... Roland Martin is the king of selfies!  No matter how many ladies asked him for a photo he never said no. He stopped and not only took pictures but insisted that he be the photographer.  Ask anyone who attended this weekend's event and they will tell you that Roland definitely enjoyed his time as the keynote speaker during the public luncheon as well as hanging out with the pretty ladies of AKA.


Saturday was pink day and somehow I managed to pack several green options, but nothing pink. I borrowed this little wrap thingy from my mom's side of the closet and headed to the convention center. 


Just before the last session, I saw a familiar face in the hallway. "Is that David Banner?" I asked Chenire, a sorority sister sitting next to me.  She said yes and said "Would you like to take a picture with him?" Before I knew it Chenire was calling out to him (using his government name) and moments later he was standing in front of me. Now, I don't know what Chenire said to get him to come all the way back inside of the convention center but that's neither here nor there. 

So here's what happened next... He took my hand and bowed down before me like I was a queen. I'm for real. This really happened. I introduced myself and told him that I was an admirer of his work. We took a few pictures and before he pulled away he said, "Come back here." And kissed me on the forehead. My day was made. Thanks David Banner!! :) 


Saturday night was filled with lots of glam. The hall was draped in pink and green and the ladies were dressed in all black. 


As a special treat Mr. Eric Benet provided a few musical selections! He even walked right down into the crowd with us. It was a great night! 

__________________________________________________________________________

I’m back in Texas now. My voice is slowly coming back, my eyes are a little puffy, my toes ache, but I wouldn’t trade the laughter, the good time, and the amazing memories for anything!

O, Alpha Kappa Alpha…Dear Alpha Kappa Alpha…

Comments

Popular Posts