#SaturdayShort - If 2017 is all we have…

I’d search for that guy from that place where the hogs use to play and put on that blue dress or maybe it was white and we’d dance on Dickson street to some 8Ball & MJG.  Then I’d catch a bus to Memphis or drive around the world, jump off planes, and I’d write. I’d write it all. I’d write from deep down within where my creative child hides waiting to jump out smiling at the world. 

If 2017 is all we have, I’d eat honey buns and drink Hennessy and shave my hair and dye it blonde and send that text or listen to that voicemail and tell that guy that, “I’m interested in you.” I’d reclaim my time and make up for the last ten years. The ten years that I spent wondering about him while he was wondering about me but our pride and the fear of rejection kept us from saying those words, jumping in that car or writing it all down. It all comes back to writing.

If 2017 is all we have, I’d claim my dollar before it was a day late perhaps then we’d get it right.  I’d live, laugh, create magic, dream, love, make love, swim in a sea of forgiveness, jump into an ocean of humility, wade in a lake of fearlessness, and swallow my pride with no chaser. 

If 2017 is all we have, we could speak like our lives depended on it being honest and true and talk.... and talk and communicate our needs because, why wouldn’t we? 

2017 is all we have. 



Comments

Popular Posts