#SaturdayShortStory - Storms



It's raining but I keep driving. 
I can't see but I keep moving. 
My tires lose traction but I don't stop. 
I'm wondering if this is it for me. 
Surely God won't let me go before I truly live, but what is truly living? 
I'm gonna eat right, love hard, feet-to-the-pavement-grinding...
I pray about a thousand times and the rain stops. 
The sun comes out. 
The road is dry. 
It's hard to believe there was ever a storm. 
I stop praying. 
I start daydreaming. 
I get distracted. 
I depend on my hands, my feet, my head to keep me in my lane. 
I turn up the music. 
I'm singing about strawberries and champagne. 
My shoulders are moving to the beat.
I let the seat recline a little. 
I'm no longer at ten and two. 
I'm bobbing my head. 
I have zero worries. 
I blink my eyes and the clouds turn from blue to gray to black. 
I can see brake lights ahead. 
I glance over at the eastbound traffic...I'm going west. 
I want them to tell me what to expect. "How hard will it be?", "Could you see through the rain?"
Just as they begin to enjoy the 24 Karat sunshine that I just experienced I'm driving through another storm. 
I turn down the music. 
I adjust my seat. 
My hands are at ten and two. 
I pray. I pray again. 
I pray for what feels like forever. 
I get that nervous feeling deep in my stomach. 
I want Jesus to take the wheel. 
I can't see where I'm going. 
My tires swerve at little. 
I'm scared.
I'm alone on the road. 
I can't see what's in front of me or where I just came from. 
I pray. 
God answers: "just keep moving. I'll be your eyes, your hands, and your feet. Faith is all you need." 
The storm is harder than before. 
I want to give up especially when I see other folks under bridges, pulled over, or exiting the interstate altogether. 
I keep moving. 
Stopping will only further delay me. 
I keep driving at a snails pace. 
The closer I get to my destination the harder it begins to rain, but I keep going. 
Soon I've arrived. 
I made it. 
I'm a little shaken. 
I'm a little tired. 
I look over at the passenger seat and in the backseat. 
I did it alone. 
Then God reminds me: We did it together. 

Comments

Popular Posts