#FierceFemaleFriday - Ulanda Terry


GOALS  |  GUTS |  GLORY


You get this amazing idea to start your own business. You spend a few weeks researching and thinking about your target market. You think about what it will take to create a business plan and you look for potential investors. You think about all of the benefits entrepreneurship may bring like financial freedom, creating your own hours, and spending time with family.  

You're excited! 

Nothing can get in your way until… something does.  You put your idea on the shelf and promise that you'll take it down as soon as this or that occurs but you never do.  

Sound familiar? 

Many of us have this dream, but unfortunately only a few of us actually put in the work to see the dream to fruition.  It takes Goals, Guts, and Glory and this week’s #FierceFemale, Ulanda Terry of All Things Posh NWA, has just that!

Read on to find out how Ulanda turned her passion into her life. 

Goals:

When I set out on this entrepreneurship journey, I was focused on using my passion to make a living.  I'm evolving to a place that wants to use my passion to make a life. 

My mom and dad split when I was four so I watched her work all the time so we could not only have our basic needs met but be involved in extra-curricula activities. Her drive, ambition & faith in God showed me the importance of trusting God in the good & the bad & the importance of setting goals. She has 30 plus years of experience as an educator but has managed to get over 10 plus years as an entrepreneur.

In order to be a female boss, you have to set SMART goals and be focused on executing them consistently.  Many folks only speak about the glamorous side of being a your own boss.  However, it can be overwhelming while wearing so many hats...HR, Sales, Marketing, Strategy, &  Accounting.  You can only outsource so many pieces when you are small.  My creativity has to consistently be challenged in order to survive in business.  My goal is to not only survive but to thrive.




Guts:

So how do you walk away from a stable, predictable paycheck and benefits? How do you redefine what  success looks like?  How do you take the talent and purpose inside of you and translate it into a product or service that helps meet a need AND pay my bills (both business & personal)?

You've got to have guts! It takes a lot of faith & guts. Every single day is a faith walk.  A choice to survive and beat the negative statistics around small business survival. I'm grateful for what I've learned so far.  

Few things: 
  1. Trust in God throughout the process (serenity prayer).
  2. Consistency is Essential.
  3. Strive for Progress not Perfection.




There have been some days that I look back and ask "did I really do it?"!  Areas I'm working on daily are:

  1. Trusting God Throughout the Process.
  2. Discipline in the SMALL Things (being consistent).
  3. Appreciate the small wins but don't get complacent (always be open to learn).




Glory:

Everyday is a constant struggle...how do I balance doing this for me, my family, my customers, and God? I've learned there is no secret formula in having balance... God must be first in the equation & everything else will find it's place and balance.  

Fun Fact: Ulanda’s last day in corporate America was one year ago yesterday!!  

Comments

Popular Posts